This is a fun set to work on stroke drills while adding some faster speed work within a 200m swim.
The drills we use for this set were:
- Fly – 3 left-arm strokes, 3 right-arm strokes, 3 full strokes (repeat). Ensure swimmers breathe to the side on the single-arm to support the development of a flatter stroke.
- Back – one arm by your side the other outstretched – kick for 6 beats and then use an arm stroke to change sides. Swimmers should concentrate on a solid kick and lifting the should of the arm by your side out of the water.
- Breast – two kicks to one stroke – focus on kick distance and maintaining a streamline position in the water.
- Freestyle – catch-up drill (see below)
200m (50 F/S, 25 F/S Kick, 50 B/S, 25 B/S Kick, 50 F/S)
4 x 25m F/S Build @45s
Main Set – Part 1
4 x 200m IM
- 100 Fly Drill, 25 B/S fast, 50 Br/S Drill, 25 F/S fast
- 25 Fly fast, 100 B/S Drill, 25 Br/S fast, 50 F/S Drill
- 50 Fly Drill, 25 B/S fast, 100 Br/S Drill, 25 F/S fast
- 25 Fly fast, 50 B/S Drill, 25 Br/S fast, 100 F/S drill
Main Set – Part 2
Swim 25m fast (90% effort) F/S with fins for time
This time recorded for the swim above is the benchmark time for the next set:
20 x 25 @50s F/S with fins
The aim is to achieve the benchmark time for each swim. If a swimmer does not achieve the benchmark time for any particular repetition, they sit the next rep out and rejoin again afterwards. The idea is for swimmers to count how many 25m swims they complete out of the 20. They would then try to beat this number when the set is next performed in 3 or 4 weeks time.
The set will look at little hectic as swimmers begin together but as they begin to miss their target time through fatigue this ends up with swimmers leaving the pool from both ends for each rep. It is good fun and the swimmers love going fast with fins!
Main Set – Part 3
Rep 1 – 10 seconds with arms above head, then 5 vertical kick blasts, 15 seconds recovery
Rep 2 – 15 seconds with arms above head, then 5 vertical kick blasts, 15 seconds recovery
Rep 3 – 20 seconds with arms above head, then 5 vertical kick blasts, 15 seconds recovery
Main Set – Part 4
100m EZ Choice