Good efficient swimming means that energy is not unnecessarily wasted. This session includes a few different drills to get swimmers thinking about distance per stroke and the initial catch phase of the breaststroke pull.
- 400m as follows:
- 100m F/S
- 25m single-arm fly by 3, 75m F/S
- 25m single-arm fly by 3, 25m B/S, 50m F/S
- 25m single-arm fly by 3, 25m B/S, 25m BR/S, 25m F/S
- 4 x (10 strokes FLY, 8 strokes, B/S, 6 strokes BR/S, 4 stroke F/S) – measure total distance swam. Each swim must get to the same point or better than the previous swim. Need to concentrate on maximising distance per stroke. When each repetition is finished, swim back to the wall and start again.
- 10 x 25m kick – Odds 6 F/S kicks on one side, 6 F/S kicks on other side (one google breathing). Evens 6 B/S kicks on one side, 6 B/S kicks on other side (rotate should out of water)
- 10 x 25m kick – Odds 4 FLY kicks on one side, 4 FLY kicks on other side (one google breathing). Evens FLY kick on back with arms above head.
- 4 x 25m BR/S scull drill as below with pull buoy
- 4 x 25m BR/S scull drill with kick
- 4 x 25m BR/S scull drill for 10m then transition to BR/S sprint for 15m
- 8 x 50m BR/S (1st 25m lay it out BR/S, 2nd 25m FAST) @1.30
- 10 x 25m FAST from Dive (2 x FLY, 2 x B/S, 2 x BR/S, 4 x F/S) @2 mins